Imran Shaukat was interviewed by Authority Magazine as part of the interview series “5 Things You Need to Become a Top Lawyer in Your Specific Field of Law.”
Imran credited his success as a maritime lawyer to three things: Exposure to different cultures through his young adult years; not being afraid to ask for help; and his involvement in trade associations, nonprofits, and professional associations.
According to Imran, the following are the five most important factors to success in the practice of law:
- Becoming involved outside of the office: All lawyers should get involved in professional groups in the industries they would like to serve.
- Work hard: Always take time to learn and improve your skills.
- Be kind: Being a zealous advocate does not mean that you must personally attack your adversary.
- Listen first, think second, respond third: Listen well, make sure you understand what is being said, and take time to determine what someone does or does not mean.
- Make the time to do things that you love: Success does not come from focusing on work exclusively. Making time for the things that you love is important and will ultimately lead to better work.