Zachary D. Schlein joined Semmes in 2021 as counsel in the firm’s Litigation Practice. He has spent the majority of his career litigating large and complex civil cases, including lead-exposure cases and nursing home negligence cases. He has presented to attorneys and insurance carriers from across the country on the defense of property owners in lead-exposure lawsuits. Zachary also has significant experience representing long-term care institutions and residents in Medicaid eligibility matters, administrative appeals, and with respect to revenue cycle management.
Zachary is a graduate of the University of Baltimore School of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 2012). While in law school, Zachary served as an associate comments editor on the University of Baltimore Law Review. Zachary also gained considerable litigation experience as a Rule 16 attorney in the university’s civil advocacy clinic, representing individuals in cases involving the denial of unemployment insurance benefits and landlord-tenant disputes.
Zachary holds his B.S. in English from Towson University. He was a judicial intern for the Honorable Joseph F. Murphy, Jr., Maryland Court of Appeals; and a judicial law clerk for the Honorable John J. Nagle III, Circuit Court for Baltimore County.
- 2015, U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- 2012, Maryland
- University of Baltimore Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 2012)
- Associate Comments Editor, University of Baltimore Law Review
- Heuisler Honor Society
- Recipient of UB Scholarship for Academic Achievement
- Towson University (B.S., magna cum laude, 2009)
- Honors College with Distinction
Affiliations, Associations & Special Achievements
- 2024 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America
- Insurance Law, 2024
- Maryland Rising Stars®: 2016 – 2023