Imran O. Shaukat is an associate in the Firm’s Business Litigation and Maritime Practice Groups. His practice generally focuses on litigation involving maritime-related matters. Mr. Shaukat also represents businesses and individuals in various commercial and employment-related disputes.
Mr. Shaukat is actively involved in a number of maritime and transportation organizations. He is a past-president of the Traffic Club of Baltimore and currently serves as Chair of the Maritime Law Association of the United States’ Young Lawyers Committee. He also serves as Secretary on the Board of Directors for Pride of Baltimore, Inc., the nonprofit that manages and operates the tall ship Pride of Baltimore II.
While in law school, Mr. Shaukat served as President of the Moot Court Board and as Symposium Editor on the Executive Board of the University of Baltimore Law Review. In recognition of his service to the School of Law, he received the Dean’s Citation for Service. After his first year of law school, Mr. Shaukat interned at the Court of Special Appeals of Maryland and the Circuit Court of Maryland for Baltimore County. He also gained considerable transactional experience working on international construction contracts for a large construction company in Turkey.
Prior to joining Semmes, Bowen & Semmes as an Associate, Mr. Shaukat served as a Summer Associate with the Firm.
- 2015, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- 2014, District of Columbia
- 2013, U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- 2012, Maryland
- University of Baltimore School of Law (J.D., 2012)
- University of Maryland (B.A., 2007)
- London School of Economics (General Course, 2006)
Affiliations, Associations & Special Achievements
- Bar Association of Baltimore City, Member
- Dundalk Youth Services Center, Board of Directors
- Judge John R. Brown Admiralty Moot Court Competition, Brief Judge
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Proctor in Admiralty
- Young Lawyers Committee, Chair (2019 – present), Vice Chair (2017-2019), Secretary (2015 – 2017)
- Young Lawyers Committee Liaison to the Carriage of Goods Committee (2013 – 2015)
- Maryland State Bar Association, Member
- Pride of Baltimore, Inc., Board of Directors
- Propeller Club of Baltimore, Member
- Traffic Club of Baltimore, Governor (2015 – present)
- University of Baltimore Law Review, Symposium Editor
- University of Baltimore School of Law Moot Court Board, President
Presentations and Publications
- “Recent Maritime Law Developments: U.S. Supreme Court and the First, Second, Third, and Fourth Circuits,” Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, New Orleans, Louisiana (June 28, 2019)
- “Force Majeure in Maritime Law – Hurricanes and Other Acts of God,” Mid-Atlantic Mariners Club Fall Lecture Series, Annapolis, Maryland (October 10, 2018)
- “Discovery and Disclosure: Civil Litigation Tools for Obtaining Evidence in the United States, England, and The Netherlands,” 14 Benedict’s Mar. Bull. 199 (Fourth Quarter 2016)
- “Report on In re Petition of Frescati Shipping Company, Ltd., as the Owner of the M/T Athos I,” Maritime Law Association of the United States Fall 2016 Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana (October 27, 2016)
- “The Limitation of Liability Act of 1851,” Mid-Atlantic Mariners Club Fall Lecture Series, Annapolis, Maryland (October 12, 2016)
- Moderator, “The Procedural Differences in Obtaining Evidence in the United States, the United Kingdom, and the Netherlands,” Joint Meeting of the Maritime Law Association of the United States and the Comité Maritime International, New York, New York (May 6, 2016)