Derek M. Van de Walle joined Semmes in 2021 as an Associate in the Firm’s Litigation Practice Group. Derek’s practice is focused on insurance defense and products liability.
Prior to joining Semmes, Derek was a Senior Law Clerk for The Honorable Christopher B. Kehoe in the Maryland Court of Special Appeals, and a Law Clerk for the District Court of Maryland, for Baltimore City.
He received his J.D. from the William & Mary Law School, where he was an Articles Editor for the Environmental Law and Policy Review. He received his B.A. in Classical History and Political Science from the University of Michigan.
- 2020, U.S. District Court of Maryland
- 2020, Virginia
- 2019, District of Columbia
- 2017, Maryland
- William & Mary Law School, (J.D., 2017)
- University of Michigan (B.A., 2014)
Affiliations, Associations & Special Achievements
- Executive Council, Young Lawyers’ Division, Bar Association of Baltimore City, Member-at-Large (2021-2022)
- University of Michigan Alumni Association, Baltimore Chapter, President (2020-Present)
- Membership Committee Young Lawyers’ Division, Bar Association of Baltimore City, Co-Chair (2020-2022)
- Historical Committee, Bar Association of Baltimore City, Member (2018 — Present)
- Peculiar Problems with Variance Ordinances, Maryland State Bar Association Journal, Author (November 2018)
- Working Waterfronts: On History, Conflicts, and Finding a Balance, Co-Author (Spring 2017)