Christopher M. Balaban is an Associate in the Firm’s Workers’ Compensation and Employers’ Liability Practice. He represents employers and insurance companies in the defense of workers’ compensation claims.
Prior to joining Semmes, Mr. Balaban was an Associate Attorney for over four years with prominent Maryland law firms where his practice primarily focused on the defense of medical professionals and hospital systems in Maryland State and Federal Courts and before Maryland administrative bodies.
Mr. Balaban graduated magna cum laude from the University of Baltimore School of Law where he was also a member of the Heuistler Honors Society and an Associate Editor of the University of Baltimore Law Forum, in which he was also published. During law school, Mr. Balaban was a law clerk with a well-respected law firm in Baltimore County where his practice was focused on professional malpractice defense.
Mr. Balaban received his Bachelor of Business Administration with a specialization in Economics from Loyola University Maryland, where he was also a goalkeeper for the Varsity Men’s Soccer Team.
- 2014, United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- 2013, Maryland
- University of Baltimore School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2013)
- Loyola University Maryland, (B.S., 2005)
Affiliations, Associations & Special Achievements
- Maryland Bar Association
- University of Baltimore Law Forum, Associate Editor
- Lewis v. Waletzky: Administrative filing requirements of the Health Care Malpractice Claims Act are procedural for choice-of-law purposes and, therefore, the doctrine of lex loci delecti is not applicable, 42 U. Balt. L.F. 421 (2012).