Mr. Eastwick concentrates on the law of wills and trusts and the administration of estates. In that practice he has been privileged to help a wide variety of clients pull together comprehensive estate plans taking into account the client’s individual situation and wealth transfer wishes. He has helped clients develop and implement plans which have featured, in addition to the mandatory will or revocable trust, power of attorney, and health care directives, the following techniques:
Irrevocable life insurance trusts and other trusts designed to lessen the burden of the taxes imposed on the transfer of wealth;
Sophisticated charitable gift planning using deferred vesting trusts;
Asset protection planning designed not only to protect assets from potential creditors but also to preserve asset values from the effects of gift, estate, and income taxation; and
Business succession planning as a part of the comprehensive wealth transfer strategy.
Mr. Eastwick has supervised or managed the settlement of trusts and estates and the administration of the transfer of the deceased’s wealth to the intended beneficiaries using various tax planning opportunities to lessen the amount of taxes payable by the estate.
- 1976, U.S. Supreme Court
- 1972, Maryland
- University of Virginia (J.D.,1972)
- Princeton University (A.B., cum laude, 1966)
Affiliations, Associations & Special Achievements
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Virginia Law Review (www.virginialawreview.org).
- Commissioned officer, United States Marine Corps, on active duty (1966-1969)
- Chief Legislative Officer to the Honorable Harry R. Hughes, Governor of Maryland (1981-1983)
- Assistant Attorney General and Counsel to the Department of Budget and Fiscal Planning, Counsel to the State Insurance Commissioner, and Counsel to the Maryland Food Center Authority (1975-1978)
- Past Chairman, Maryland Bar Association, Committee on Legislation.
- Past Chairman, Baltimore City Bar Association, Standing Committee on Legislation.
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association, Section of Taxation and Section of Trusts and Estates
- Member, Baltimore Estate Planning Council
- Lecturer on trust administration topics