Creditors Rights & Bankruptcy
Semmes maintains an active representation of secured and unsecured creditors in both state and federal courts, including Maryland, the District of Columbia, Virginia, Delaware and the Middle and Eastern Districts of Pennsylvania.
Semmes’ attorneys who practice in this area strive to provide timely and effective enforcement of both commercial and consumer contracts. We have developed a particular expertise in the recovery of collateral securing loans through the use of writs of replevin, ship arrests and writs of seizure. Additionally, we actively work with a network of local attorneys to provide creditor services in other states.
A representative sampling of matters regularly handled by Semmes’ creditors’ rights and bankruptcy attorneys includes the following:
- replevin/seizure of secured collateral
- avoidance of unperfected mechanic’s liens/garage liens
- relief from the automatic stay of 11 U.S.C. Section 362
- objections to Chapter 13 plans
- litigation of dischargeability issues in the U.S. bankruptcy court
- litigation of commercial and consumer debts, including post-judgment execution and recovery
- defense of trustee avoidance actions